The UK IGF web site at ukigf.org.uk is administered on behalf of the members of the UK Internet Governance Forum by Nominet UK (Company No. 3203859). Nominet UK is a not for profit company limited by guarantee whose registered address is Minerva House, Edmund Halley Road, Oxford Science Park, Oxford OX4 4DQ. A list of members of the UK IGF is available at the UK IGF web site.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is Nominet UK.
Information we may collect from you
- We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide to us.
- Information provided by others about you.
Details of your visits to our site and the resources that you access.
IP addresses and cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual. For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
- To estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests.
- To speed up your searches.
- To recognise you when you return to our site.
Where we store your personal data
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our website, when you choose to do so.
If you do not want us to use your data in this way, please write to us using the address information shown above.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to a third party if we are under a duty to do so in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply any contract between us or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Nominet UK, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us using the address information shown above.
Other web sites
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to other web sites. If you follow a link to any of these web sites, please note that these web sites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for your use of such web sites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.